RomaniaExplorer Home   ¦  Map of Romania ¦ Online hotel reservation  ¦ Special Offers ¦  Contact

BUCHAREST

 

History Museum of Bucharest Municipality (Sutu Palace) 

 

  • it is situated on 2 I.C.Bratianu Boulevard
  • in 1921, dr. Gheorghe Gheorghian, mayor about that time, consented to the setting up of a “Communal Museum of Bucharest”
  • in 1930 a building situated on Calea Victoriei was offered,namely Casa Moruzi also known under the name of “The House in Chains” (Casa in lanturi)
  • the inauguration took place in the presence of prime-minister Nicolae Iorga, of Gheorghe Gheorghian and other personalities of the time
  • the collections hosted by Bucharest Communal Museum were moved from one place to another and at last were exhibited at Sutu Palace
  • here, in its new location, namely Sutu Palace, the museum was reopened on the 23rd of January 1959, when the hundredth anniversary of the Union of the two Principalities was celebrated
  • unifying the History Museum with the Art Museum, in 1984,the History and Art Museum of Bucharest municipality was created which in December 1999 became the Museum of Bucharest Municipality
  • the museum patrimony consists of almost 400,000 pieces resulting from archeological discoveries, donations and acquisitions
  • the existing rooms surrounding the big hall host temporary exhibitions, scientific and literary meetings, as well as a library

  •   Hall I 

     

  • the profound ambient changes that took place in Bucharest, in the 19th c., concern not only the aspect of the town, but also the decoration and interior arrangements
  • the first hall of the museum reconstitutes a typical Bucharester drawing-room of the 19th c. according to the documents of the epoch
  • if, at the beginning of the century, the Oriental patterns were predominating, being defined by absence of big pieces of furniture, by divans with pillows and Oriental carpets, after 1830 the houses got an Occidental aspect
  • the most appreciated styles of furniture were Louis – Philippe and Napoleon III
  • personalities of the Sutu family are evoked: Costache, great seneschal, senator Grigore Suciu and his wife, Irina Sutu, daughter of the famous banker Hagi Moscu

  • Hall II - Archeology

     

  • the archeological discoveries attest, on Bucharest area, traces of human presence dating from about 150,000 B.C., which makes the capital of Romania one of the oldest populated area of Europe
  • the settlements were situated on the banks of the two rivers that cross Bucharest – the Dambovita and Colentina
  • situated in the middle of an area rich in forests and water, with a soil good for agriculture and animal breeding, the territory of Bucharest was dense enough inhabited, as the discoveries made by the museum archeologists show in sites as: Mogosoaia, Chitila, Bordei, Herastrau, Lacul Tei, Plumbuita, Fundenii Doamnei, Rosu-Militari, Mihai – Voda, a.s.o.
  • the spectacular discoveries date from Neolithic – it is about household objects, or ritual pieces belonging to material cultures as Dudesti, Gumelnita, Boian
  • bronze processing is attested by a multitude of objects: tools, weapons, accessories, discovered in different zones
  • the presence of the Dacians is proved by a series of settlements such as those from Mihai-Voda and Radu-Voda, Bucur’s Church, Lacul Tei, Pipera, Militari
  • different treasures of Greek coins or local imitations, as those from Herastrau,Colentina, Pipera, Fundeni, Popesti-Leordeni, date from the Geto-Dacian time urme romane au fost scoase la iveala la Giulesti, Lacul Tei
  • Roman traces were discovered at Giulesti, Lacul Tei
  • bronze cult statues – Apolo and Venus certify the presence of the Roman cults in Dacia

  • Hall III – Middle Ages 

     


  • between the 13th-14th c., a rather important commercial and manufacturing center materialized on Bucharest territory that let the Walachian voivodes to establish the capital here
  • with regard to the origin of the name “Bucharest” and to the founding of the town, there are different legends circulating – among the presumptive founders are “shepherd” Bucur, voivodes Radu Negru and Mircea the Old
  • the oldest attestation of the name of the town is connected with the chancellor’s office of ruling prince Vlad Tepes, that on the 20th of September 1459 gave a document considered to be, up to the present day, "the birth certificate" of the Capital

  • the dynamic of the everyday life of the town – maintained around the political and commercial nucleus formed around the Court of the Prince – was marked by the expansionist aggressions of the Ottoman Empire and the defensive reactions of the Romanians
  • however, the Oriental patterns gained ground in the Walachian capital, as attested by different luxury or household objects, as well as by the boyards’ clothes
  • the feudal hall exhibits for the public, among other things, two objects symbolic for the existance of the Bucharesters,in the Middle Ages: Serban Cantacuzino’s Bible and the sword of the great protector of arts and letters who was Constantin Brancoveanu
  • the Ottoman influence reached its climax between 1714-1821 during the "Phanariot regime"
  • in spite of the fiscal excess and corruption they were renowned for, the “phanariot” rulers initiated urbanistic work in Bucharest: setting up of the first public drinking fountains, with water brought through pipes with gutter tiles, lighting of the town, alignment and paving of the streets, a.s.o.

  • Hall IV – The 19th century

     

  • the 19th c. brought a radical change of orientation for Bucharest: emancipation from under the Ottoman domination and processing the models of culture and civilization from the occidental system
  • important historical moments (1821 revolution, led by Tudor Vladimirescu, gaining the independence in 1877, 1848 revolution, Union of Principalities in 1859, setting up of the monarchy) had their influence in the development of Bucharest, in the accentuation of the western aspect of the town that was called “Little Paris” – due to public and private constructions built by foreign or Romanian architects educated in the big capitals of Europe
  • after the big fire on the 23rd of March 1847, when almost 1,800 houses burnt, Bucharest was rebuilt on modern urbanistic principles
  • from 1861, Bucharest - the capital of a doubled territory - registered an alert developing rhythm and a considerable demographic growth having important consequences in the urbanistic domain
  • work on a large scale provided Bucharesters varied facilities, according to the urbanistic western patterns
  • memorable dates:
    •   1857 – Bucharest is the first capital in the world illuminated with petrol lamp
    •   1860 – "Gheorghe Lazar" and "Matei Basarab" gymnasiums were founded; the first cubic stone pavements (on the present day Smardan and 30th of December streets)
    •   1866 –"The Romanian Literary Society" came into being, the nucleus of the future Romanian Academy
    •   1868 – took place the first concert of the Philharmonic Society from Bucharest
    •   1869 – inauguration of the first railway station of Bucharest, at Filaret
    •   1871 – the first tramway for trams driven by horses, on the line Gara de Nord – Piata Sf. Gheorghe - Obor
    •   1882 – illuminating with electricity, at Royal Palace, then at the National Theatre and in the Cismigiu Garden
    •   1896 – the first electric tramway, the first cinema
  • subordinated to the History Museum of Bucharest Municipality there are also some: memorial housesandcultural objectives

     

  • Sitemap

    Copyright ©2009 RomaniaExplorer.com

      Română Deutsch Français Magyar Español  
     

     

    Don't miss

     

    • Romanian Athenaeum
    Building with a rather special architecture , erected on the foundation of a riding school,  which explains its round silhouette - has been inaugurated in 1888.
    More on Romanian Athenaeum...
     
    • Capşa House
    More than a coffee lounge, more than a meeting place for artists , poets and politicians , more than a hotel, Casa Capşa has been for more than two centuries the symbol of Bucharest.
    More on Capşa House...
     
    The most spotted touristic destination in Romania, The Parliament's Palace attracts visitors  from all over the world wishing to witness all those superlatives that have brought this building in first three positions of the Guiness Book of Records
    More on
    Parliament's Palace...
     
    Hosted by the building that has belonged for over a century to the royal family of Romania, the museum offers to the visitor alongside the valuable art collection of the royal family, important public collections, arranged in  rigurously defined categories : graphics, medieval art, decorative arts or oriental art. 
    More on
    The National Art Museum ...
     

    Check the offers and save up to 60%

    Booking online 

    will help you save

    up to 60% 

    Pay at the hotel 

    No booking tax 

    Fast and secure

     

    Hotels near monuments and museums

    Hotels close to parks

    Hotels close to airports

      

    Where to sleep in Bucharest

     

    Accomodation in Bucharest

    Search flight

    Departure:
    Departure date:
    Arrival:
    Return date:
    Adults

    Advanced search