RomaniaExplorer Home   ¦  Map of Romania ¦ Online hotel reservation  ¦ Special Offers ¦  Contact

BUCHAREST

"St. Anton" Princely Church




Bucharest Churches, St.Anton Church

  • situated on 22bis, Sepcari street
  • it is considered the oldest building in Bucharest
  • founded by the ruling prince Mircea Ciobanul, 1545-1554
  • between 1558-1559 he rebuilt the Voivode Court where he established his residence
  • his sons Patrascu Voda, Radu and Mihnea Turcitul continued the work
  • the church suffered damages, restorations and modifications
  • Matei Basarab restored it after it had been set on fire and plundered (1611)
  • plundered again by the Tartar and Turk invasion, it was rebuilt by voivodes:
    • Grigore Ghica, 1660-1664
    • Gheorghe Duca, 1673-1678

  • the belfry tower was built during the time of Grigore Ghica and Åžerban Cantacuzino
  • it was later restored by Constantin Brâncoveanu
  • repairs and changes were done during the rules of voivodes: Constantin Mavrocordat and Nicolae Mavrocordat, 18th c.
  • it was seriously damaged during the earthquakes and fires of the first half of the 19th c.
  • it is consecrated to “St. Anton”
  • multiple modifications were done by architect J. Schlatter

St.Anton Church

  • scientific restorations were done at the beginning of the 20th c.
  • these restorations brought the church nearer to its initial form
  • the trichonch plan of the church with:
    • pronaos
    • nave with side apses
    • the altar apsis
  • the nave is covered by a unitary cylindrical vault, interrupted by a belfry near the side apses
    • there are 4 arch-like recesses in the walls
    • the altar apsis has spaces in the walls for the diaconicon and the altar
    • the catapetasma dates since 1852 being realized by sculptor Babic, with post-Brancovan influences
    • in 1852 the church was entirely painted by Constantin Luca and Misu Popp
    • it was painted in Neoclassical style, and the fresco of the belfry tower belongs to painter I. Mihail, 1935
    • the church stores objects of great artistic value:
      • the ciborium donated by Constantin Ipsilanti, 1802-1809 with floral motifs and the coat-of-arms of the reunited Wallachia and Moldavia
      • the silver tray donated by C. Brancoveanu, in 1695
      • the silver pyx, given by Constantin Moruzi
      • a silver chalice
      • ruler Mircea Ciobanul was buried in the church

     

     


Sitemap

Copyright ©2009 RomaniaExplorer.com

  Română Deutsch Français Magyar Español  
 

 

Don't miss

 

  • Romanian Athenaeum
Building with a rather special architecture , erected on the foundation of a riding school,  which explains its round silhouette - has been inaugurated in 1888.
More on Romanian Athenaeum...
 
  • Capşa House
More than a coffee lounge, more than a meeting place for artists , poets and politicians , more than a hotel, Casa Capşa has been for more than two centuries the symbol of Bucharest.
More on Capşa House...
 
The most spotted touristic destination in Romania, The Parliament's Palace attracts visitors  from all over the world wishing to witness all those superlatives that have brought this building in first three positions of the Guiness Book of Records
More on
Parliament's Palace...
 
Hosted by the building that has belonged for over a century to the royal family of Romania, the museum offers to the visitor alongside the valuable art collection of the royal family, important public collections, arranged in  rigurously defined categories : graphics, medieval art, decorative arts or oriental art. 
More on
The National Art Museum ...
 

Check the offers and save up to 60%

Booking online 

will help you save

up to 60% 

Pay at the hotel 

No booking tax 

Fast and secure

 

Hotels near monuments and museums

Hotels close to parks

Hotels close to airports

  

Where to sleep in Bucharest

 

Accomodation in Bucharest

Search flight

Departure:
Departure date:
Arrival:
Return date:
Adults

Advanced search