RomaniaExplorer Home   ¦  Map of Romania ¦ Online hotel reservation  ¦ Special Offers ¦  Contact

BUCHAREST

St. Atanasie Church, Doamnei Church,
St. George-Old Church, St. George-New Church
St. Spiridon-New Church

 

St. Atanasie Church

  • situated on 33, Radu Vodă street
  • the church was built in the 17th c. and rebuilt at the beginning of the 18th c.
  • built on the site of a wooden church, that according to the legend was erected by Bucur the shepherd
  • it is consecrated to Saints Atanasie and Chiril
  • the church has a mushroom like roof raised above the nave
  • it has a rural aspect
  • the interior is ceilinged
  • the exterior is decorated with high arches
  • it has icons from 1705
  • it suffered restorations along the time

 

Doamnei Church (Lady’s Church)

 

  • situated on 28, Calea Victoriei(Victoria Avenue)
  • raised by Lady Maria, Serban Cantacuzino’s spouse, 1683
  • on the 28th of October, 1689 the church was dedicated to Cotroceni Monastery, Serban Cantacuzino’s foundation
  • it was built in Brancovan and Moldavian styles
  • inside, there is a mural painting from the 17th c. made by master-painters Constantin and Ioan, mentioned in the diptych which is to be found in the altar of the church
  • the church was partially destroyed by earthquakes
  • it was radically repaired before 1868, when the belfry was demolished, being replaced by another made of wood and plate
  • it was again repaired in 1869 and restored in 1906

 

  • the church was declared historical monument through the Royal Decree from 1915

 

St. Spiridon-New Church


     

     

     

     

  • situated on 29-31, Şerban Vodă Avenue
  • founded by theruler Scarlat Ghica’s (1758-1761; 1763-1766)
  • Scarlat Ghica’s son, Alexandru Ghica (1766-1768) also contributed
  • cupola with ribs characteristic to the Gothic style
  • inside the church there are paintings (remains) by Gheorghe Tattarescu

 

 

 

 

 


St. George-Old Church


  • situated on 36 B, Moşilor Avenue
  • it was monastery and residence of Wallachia’s Metropolitanate
  • the inscription on the façade of the church shows that it was founded by Nedelcu from Balaci, Ilfov in 1492
  • later documents assigned the foundation to another Nedelco Balaceanu, Great Chancellor, and his wife Anca from Glina, during the first reign of Mircea called Ciobanul (the Shepherd)
  • after Sinan Pasa’s invasion in 1595, the monastic complex was destroyed
  • in 1668, St. George-Old Monastery was subordinated to St. Ecaterina Monastery from Bucharest
  • the church and the monastery burnt down in 1718, but were rebuilt in 1724
  • destroyed again by The Big Fire it was rebuilt in 1847 by parishioners
  • in 1875 the church was demolished, being very rundown and it was rebuilt after Dumitru Poenaru’s plans
  • the painting of the new church was prof. Gh. Pompilian’s work of art

 

St. George-New Church


 

 

 

 

 

  • located on 27, I.C.Brătianu Boulevard
  • raised between 1698-1707 by ruling prince Constantin Brâncoveanu
  • in 1847 a fire destroyed the church partially
  • rebuilt between 1852-1853 after architect X. Villacrosse’s plans – which brought about changes of the aspect of the church compared with the original
  • Constantin Lecca and Mişu Popp painted the new church
  • it is a monument of Brancovan art
  • Constantin Brâncoveanu and Ioan Mavrocordat were buried in the church
Sitemap

Copyright ©2009 RomaniaExplorer.com

  Română Deutsch Français Magyar Español  
 

 

Don't miss

 

  • Romanian Athenaeum
Building with a rather special architecture , erected on the foundation of a riding school,  which explains its round silhouette - has been inaugurated in 1888.
More on Romanian Athenaeum...
 
  • Capşa House
More than a coffee lounge, more than a meeting place for artists , poets and politicians , more than a hotel, Casa Capşa has been for more than two centuries the symbol of Bucharest.
More on Capşa House...
 
The most spotted touristic destination in Romania, The Parliament's Palace attracts visitors  from all over the world wishing to witness all those superlatives that have brought this building in first three positions of the Guiness Book of Records
More on
Parliament's Palace...
 
Hosted by the building that has belonged for over a century to the royal family of Romania, the museum offers to the visitor alongside the valuable art collection of the royal family, important public collections, arranged in  rigurously defined categories : graphics, medieval art, decorative arts or oriental art. 
More on
The National Art Museum ...
 

Check the offers and save up to 60%

Booking online 

will help you save

up to 60% 

Pay at the hotel 

No booking tax 

Fast and secure

 

Hotels near monuments and museums

Hotels close to parks

Hotels close to airports

  

Where to sleep in Bucharest

 

Accomodation in Bucharest

Search flight

Departure:
Departure date:
Arrival:
Return date:
Adults

Advanced search