The Minovici Family
Minovici family, from the Serbian Macedonia by birth, marked the history of Bucharest and not only, through its activity, passions and its implication in science, culture and social life.
- founded the first morgue in the world in Bucharest in 1892
- he is the author of the first complete treatise on legal medicine from the Balkan area
Ştefan Minovici founded
- Analytic Chemistry Department
- The General Association of the Pharmaceutics Staff from Romania (1899)
- The Chemistry Society of Romania (1919).
- founded the first ambulance service in 1906 with his own capital
- In 1934 he established the first hospital with a permanent emergency service from Romania, the second in Europe following the one in Moscow
Dr. Nicolae Minovici Folk Art Museum
- situated 1, Dr. Nicolae Minovici street
- known as physician and teacher, professor Nicolae Minovici (1868-1941) was a remarkable research worker in the field of medicine and at the same time a passionate man of art
- he founded the Ambulance Service Society in 1906 and the Emergency Hospital
- in 1905 he built a house in the style of a fortified boyar’s manor from Oltenia to exhibit his collection of modern and folk art
- the villa having groundfloor, floor and a tower, declared historical monument, preserves an impressive decoration in stone made by the German sculptor Wilhelm August von Beckev
- the museum contains: carving wood, dyeing eggs, bride’s dowry, pottery, rugs, home-made tissues, folk musical instruments, glass painted icons
*The Guide of Bucharest Museums, Cartea de Buzunar Publishing House, Luminita Ionescu
The Old Feudal Art Museum
- Dumitru Minovici was the three Minovici brothers’ nephew (their sister’s son)
- “We are in 1905, when Dumitru Minovici, the 8 year old child, instead of buying a kite, he chooses the copy of a portrait of Lorenzo de Medici, the famous Mecena of the Florentine Renaissance. It was the first gesture of a great future collector, engineer Dumitru Minovici (1897-1982). Doctor Nicolae Minovici’s nephew, founder of the folk art museum having his name, from the villa in Romanian style from no. 1, was on the right path.
- Several decades later, in 1939, the building of the house at no.3 began, because, in the mean time, Dumitru Minovici, graduate of the University from Toulouse and director of the Miner Credit Society with the residence in Vienna, gathered an impressive collection of works of art, that needed shelter.
- Thought out to be a museum, engineer Minovici and his wife lady Ligia Minovici’s house is by itself a masterpiece” ( text by Simona Nastac)
- the house evokes the English Gothic style of the Tudor and Plantagenet periods, mixed with elements from Flemish and French Gothic, in an ensemble of monumental proportions, harmoniously connected with the generous dimensions of the surrounding park and garden, in Italian style
- The interior is structured in three rooms, the living-room, the library and the room where meals were served, the so called Toscan room.
- the rooms are preceded by a long hall decorated with hunting trophies
- an impressive staircase sculptured in massive oak leads upstairs
- The Toscana room has an imposing fireplace brought from Toscana, Flemish tapestries and the paintings of some artists belonging to the German and Italian schools, massive nut furniture, cups, vases and candlesticks of Delft and Meissen china...
- the library – the furniture made of massive nut wood in Neoclassical style, the chairs are upholstered at Aubusson manufactory.There is also the Louis XV study and Cosimo de Medici’s portrait, painted by Bronzino
- Ligia and Dumitru Minovici’s passion for beauty reminds us of old Bucharest. Here, in the shade of the Bell House, on Nicolae Minovici street no. 3, all is history, all is art.