RomaniaExplorer Home   ¦  Map of Romania ¦ Online hotel reservation  ¦ Special Offers ¦  Contact

BUCHAREST


Casa Capsa (Capsa House)


  • The building that was to become "Casa Capsa", situated in the center of Bucharest, on Calea Victoriei (Victoria Avenue), at the crossroad with Edgar Quinet street, was built in 1852 by justice of peace Slatineanu and bore the name of Slatineanu House until 1874, when the building became the possession of the members of Capsa family, who made history, gaining European fame and appreciation of the place.
Casa Capsa, at the crossroads of Calea Victoriei  (Victory Avenue) with Edgar Quinet street

 

  • The history of Casa Capsa  is closely connected to the destiny of a Macedo-Romanian family, descendants of furrier Dumitru Capsa
  • His coming to our parts was connected with one of the most dramatic episodes in the Balkan history: the complete destruction, in 1788, of the town Moscopole, the beautiful capital of the Macedo-Romanians, completely demolished by the Otoman artilery
  • He had four boys, of which only the youngest child, Constantin took over his father’s craft, becoming a real artist. The names of four out of Constantin's 12 children, Vasile, Anton, Constantin and Grigore are linked to the setting up of Casa Capsa 

 

Casa Capsa

 

    Vasile Capsa
    • When Vasile started his apprenticeship at the confectioner Alexandru Elefterescu, nobody could imagine his later success.

     

    Anton Capsa
    • willing to start his own business after four years of apprenticeship, he asked his brother for help, and so, on the 6th of July 1852, the confectioner’s “At the Two Brothers, Anton and Vasile Capsa”, on Mogosoaia Bridge (Victoria Avenue) came into being
    • at the beginning, the delicious cakes and sweets were brought from abroad; later, Casa Capsa began qualifying Romanian confectioners
    • Clever merchants, the two brothers understood that the wrapping also sold the products, they created a new fashion.
    • The following years, Capsa confectionery shop was run, by turn, by all the brothers involved in the business.

 

Grigore Capsa  
  • Around 1869 Constantin and Grigore Capsa were in charge.
  • Grigore was the one to bring fame. After having been sent to learn the craft in France, at the famous “Boissier” House. Grigore was so good, that he was the only foreigner who was let to participate at the exhibition in Paris, where he presented some of his sweet masterpieces to Queen Eugenia, who was very impressed.
  • Coming back, the business continued under the name “At the Two Brothers, Constantin and Grigore Capsa”. In 1876, Constantin drew back, Grigore running the business on his own.

 

  • In 1886, Casa Capsa extended: a hotel and a saloon which later became the famous Capsa Café.
  • during its years of glory, all those who meant something for the cultural life of Bucharest went there; let’s mention some names: Dan Barbilian(Ion Barbu), the critic Serban Cioculescu, poet Vlaicu Barna, the writers Liviu Rebreanu, Camil Petrescu, Corneliu Moldovan, Tudor Arghezi - constant customer, Ionel Teodoreanu; Ion Minulescu was an important representative of the atmosphere of the café that became “writers’own” café and also the café of the political personalities, foreign diplomats, actors or other personalities who were visiting our country without missing to visit this famous place.
  • so is the case of the famous French marshal Joseph Joffre, a general at that time, whose visit generated the making of a new chocolate cake that later was called … Joffre, giving culinary fame to a name already consacrated in the political life.
  • In 1869, Grigore Capsa became the caterer of the Princely Court, and in 1882 of the Romanian Royal House
    • In 1873, he was awarded the "Great Medal" of Vienna Exhibition
    • in 1881, he was given the "Gold Medal" of the Exhibition in Bucharest
    • and in 1889, "The Great Gold Medal" of the "Universal Exhibition".
    bCasa Capsa - years of glory
  • After Grigore Capsa’s death, Casa Capsa maintained its fame remaining the symbol of Bucharest until the half of the 20th c.
  • The communist period affected this symbol, as being displeased with the fast of the bourgeois-landlord evoked even by the name of the house, the communists replaced the renowned name with "Bucharest. Brasserie and Restaurant".
  • after 1990, the place has regained its old name, as well as its old good looks (after the restoration).
  • The five stars hotel was renovated and opened in 2003
  • The white marble staircase that leads to the first floor, big windows, the light coming down through the glass ceiling, the white marble hall on the left of the stairs, the blue carpet with the golden symbols of Capsa, the Blue Saloon, all these evoke the important ceremonies and meetings that were silent witnesses.
Casa Capsa - Inside - The lobby

Casa Capsa - interior  
  • Above the Blue Saloon, on the second floor, opens the Imperial Saloon whose windows overlook the crossroad of the two streets with a rich history, while opposite, The National Military Club .

  • The green, with thin golden insertions, is dominant, being set off by the discreet beige of the baldaquin and hangings.
  Casa Capsa - Imperial Appartment - The bedroom

 

  • The decorations were restored according to the photos of the epoch, the hotel taking again its well deserved place among the select places of Bucharest..
  • but nobody succeeded in giving back its spirit ("Capsa spirit"), which disappeared together with the golden generation of the Romanian literature, as Paul Morand, (French ambassador in Romania between 1943-1944) said: "Capsa is the heart of the town, topographical and ethical. (…) Capsa is the tympan of this big ear that is Bucharest".
Sitemap

Copyright ©2009 RomaniaExplorer.com

  Română Deutsch Français Magyar Español  
 

 

Don't miss

 

  • Romanian Athenaeum
Building with a rather special architecture , erected on the foundation of a riding school,  which explains its round silhouette - has been inaugurated in 1888.
More on Romanian Athenaeum...
 
  • Capşa House
More than a coffee lounge, more than a meeting place for artists , poets and politicians , more than a hotel, Casa Capşa has been for more than two centuries the symbol of Bucharest.
More on Capşa House...
 
The most spotted touristic destination in Romania, The Parliament's Palace attracts visitors  from all over the world wishing to witness all those superlatives that have brought this building in first three positions of the Guiness Book of Records
More on
Parliament's Palace...
 
Hosted by the building that has belonged for over a century to the royal family of Romania, the museum offers to the visitor alongside the valuable art collection of the royal family, important public collections, arranged in  rigurously defined categories : graphics, medieval art, decorative arts or oriental art. 
More on
The National Art Museum ...
 

Check the offers and save up to 60%

Booking online 

will help you save

up to 60% 

Pay at the hotel 

No booking tax 

Fast and secure

 

Hotels near monuments and museums

Hotels close to parks

Hotels close to airports

  

Where to sleep in Bucharest

 

Accomodation in Bucharest

Search flight

Departure:
Departure date:
Arrival:
Return date:
Adults

Advanced search